France lost 1-4 to Mexico, with Andre-Pierre Gignac scoring the only goal of the game.
South Africa also come into the second round with zero points. They lost their first match at the Olympics to Japan, conceding a goal midway through the second half (0-1). After their opening 1-4 loss against Mexico, bookmakers think France will improve for their next game and are hoping for a win. As of now, you can bet on France for 1.25, a draw at 6.55 odds or an unlikely result: You can also bet on South African victory over Australia 14/1
But the French now have a big problem. Their major competitor on Sunday evening, South Africa, is coming with nothing to lose and an obsession for goals. They are also facing off in their first match at Rio and will be hungry for a win against the favourites. I predict that we’ll see plenty of exchanges–this game has no clear favourite yet (and we might need extra time).
- If France is defeated in their next game and Japan hold Mexico to a draw, Sylvain Ripaul’s side will be eliminated from competing for the medals. Predicting that France will not take one of the first two positions in Group F is possible with odds set at 2-to-3 on exchange betting markets
- If the French don’t lose in the round, they’ll also keep their chances of making it into playoffs.
- France is unlikely to make the play-offs even if they win against Mexico because South Africa has no room for error.
Bets and odds for the match France Ol. – South Africa Ol
According to the odds, the French are clear favorites in their upcoming match against South Africa. Sylvain Ripaul’s men are currently 1.23 favorites while 7/4 for a draw and 13/8 for victory of South Africa.
- In the last seven international matches, only one goal has been scored in the first half. Bet on “Total less than 1.5” at odds of 1.40
- South Africa have conceded fewer goals than most teams and have not scored more than two goals in four prior games since their Olympic qualification match against Japan. They are very likely to play defensively for much of the game with a short total expected as well which would suggest betting on Under totaling 1.5 both halves for odds of 2:1
About the teams
Betting on the French national team Ol.
The team has lost to Mexico in the first round of the Olympic tournament. But France is still in with a chance to get through to the play-offs. You can bet on this at odds of 1.40. The last time they played at an Olympics, there was a game where they won two games and scored 2 goals each time. You can also bet on France – international trade market (ITM) for 2.5 points, which has odds of 1.70
Bets on the South African national team Ol
The team lost to Japan and this made it hard for them to get out of the group. It looks like their chances are not so good. They lost in the last Olympics too, but that doesn’t mean they won’t win this time. You could place a bet on South Africa ending up in last place at the end of the group stage at 1.29 odds, or you can bet on them winning with 8.50 odds.
In the last 4 games, the South African soccer team did not score 3 times. Right now, you can bet on them not scoring in the next game. If they do score, then your bet will not pay off.